If so, consider Red Star auto body and paint in Sacramento "your" body shop. Whether it's an insurance claim or self-pay repair, we have services catered to you.
916 488-STAR when you dent your car...or truck!
We can process claims for all of the major insurance companies and most of the lesser known companies. Late or Early models are no problem. Our shop is experienced in repairing most new models from all the major name brands as well as repairing older vehicles and classics.
1. ASSESSMENT and ESTIMATING
- All body and or paint damage must be located and properly estimated. We untilize the latest software and data base so we can accurately write up for new OEM, aftermarket, or even used parts, which ever fit your repair needs. Remember, it is very common that there is underlying damage hidden during the initial estimate and will require a supplemental quote after the vehicle is disassembled. These hidden damages can often get very expensive, so insurance claims may be best to keep out of pocket expenses to a minimum. What ever you decide, our "FRIENDS and NEIGHBORS" program can save you on deductible or repair expenses. Ask about it.
- Glass, Mirrors, Moldings, Handles, Lamps, Grills, nameplateas and other exterior trim should be removed and reinstalled after paint and buff for a factory-like finish. This is when hidden damage and supplemental expenses can ad up.
- Repairs can range from simply repairing paint damage, to repairing damaged sheet metal or plastics, up to entire panel replacements. All vary in cost depending on labor hours involved.
4. PAINT PREP
- Paint prep refers to the process of blocksanding primer to a smooth paintable surface, restoring corrosion protection, scuffing surfaces for basecoats and masking of the vehicle which is meticulous work.
5. BASECOAT & CLEARCOAT
- With parts removed and surface properly prepped, the painter can lay down a factory matched basecoat color. We have thousands of factory paint codes that can be made right here in our paint shop. We paint solid colors, metallics, candies, pearls and custom applications. Often times panel adjacent to the repaired panels may need a "blend" to help ensure a seemless colormatch. A "blend" is applying a gradiant color transition to adjacent panel so the eye does not detect the two colors coming together. A "butt-match" is when one panel has been refinished without this process and the difference between the new finsh and the existing finish is visible.
- Clearcoat is the final application that protects your paint from premature fading and scratching, and give that like-new gloss finish. Clearcoat ads durability and the sheen to your paint finish.
6. COLORSAND & BUFF
- The "Paint Job" doesnt end in the paint shop. The colorsand and buff process removes the small imperfections inherent in the paint application process, like nibs, orange peel and dryiness.
- Once the vehicle is polished we begin re-installation of handles, trim, bumpers, nameplates, badges etc.
Ok, so how much for a "Paint Job" on my car?
Auto and truck refinishing can be a tricky proposition. Often times it is very difficult to get an accurate quote for the quality of work which you desire. You may hear one guy say he paid $20K for his "paint job" and another say he got his painted at Waaco for $2K. These are not the same things.
The $20k "paint job" included removal of all trim, stripping of all prior repair work, repairing and or replacing damaged body parts, align panels, Primering and block sanding, prepping for paint and masking, paint and clearcoats, colorsand and buff, reassembly.
For years there have been commercials claiming that a paint job can be done for $299. This is false. Or, at least for any kind of a paint job that you would dare put on your vehicle or show your face in. The average labor rate of a body shop can range from $50-$100/hr, A gallon of clearcoat and its activator can cost upwards of $200 easily. Vibrant toners for solids, metallics, candies and pearls are very regulated and expensive to buy. So how could one possibly get a "paint job" on their vehicle for $299?
Many of these companies have gone belly up because of dissatisfied customers who were expecting a factory-like paint job on their beloved automobile and who ended up worse off than when they began. BE AWARE that if it sounds too good to be true, it is.
If you have ever had a small fender bender and had to have repairs done. You have seen how labor hours can easily add up to 1000s of $$$s very quickly. You should think of a "Paint Job" the same way. Each of the following repair processes require skill, talent, training and experience.
916 488-STAR for your custom car.